Please also refer to any privacy statements available at our locations, websites or mobile applications available to you at the time your personal information is collected.
What Type of Personal Information Do We Collect and How?
We limit the collection of personal information to what is reasonably required to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. “Personal information” is any information that identifies you or could be reasonably associated with you.
Depending on the purpose(s) for which we need to collect it, we may ask for the following personal information about you including:
- Basic information such as your name, address, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail address, birth date and marital status.
- Claims history
- Credit and past payment records
- Driver’s record
- Details about your property such as the value of your home and its contents
- Medical information such as any condition that may affect the operation of a vehicle
- Employment information
We may obtain this information from:
- Insurance companies
- Other insurance brokers or agents
- Credit organizations
- Motor vehicle and driver licensing authorities
- Financial institutions
- Medical professionals
How Do We Use Personal Information?
When you first become a client or whenever you seek a quote, acquire, or renew a product from us, we need to collect some of your personal information. Common purposes for which we collect your personal information are to:
- Enable us to provide you with a quote;
- Enable us to acquire or renew an insurance policy for you;
- Assist you and assess your ongoing needs for insurance;
- Assess your need for other products, such as financial products, and to offer them to you;
- Generally enhance your customer experience;
- Ensure your information is accurate and up-to-date; and
- Protect us both against error or fraud.
- Sell, lease or otherwise disseminate your information to another person or organization (the only exception to this would be if we sell or transfer any part of our business)
- Contact you with promotional offers after you have unsubscribed from our e-mail list. We may still contact you about products you have purchased from us
- Use your feedback to make our sites and customer service better
- Encrypt sensitive data and use other methods to protect your particulars
How Do We Share Personal Information?
For many of the purposes identified above, we will need to share your personal information with others in order to serve your needs, in accordance with applicable law. These other parties commonly include:
- Insurance companies
- Other insurance brokers or agents
- Credit organizations
- Professionals working with us such as adjusters or lawyers
- Financial institutions. For example, the organization that carries your mortgage
- Third party service providers who need this information to perform their services for us. Examples include data processing, programming, data storage, and market distribution services.
In some cases, we provide your personal information to people, organizations, and service providers in provinces or jurisdictions within or outside of Canada. There are therefore subject to the laws of those provinces or jurisdictions, and law enforcement authorities in such jurisdictions, under applicable laws in that jurisdiction, may access such information. When we share personal information with our service providers, they must protect it in ways that are consistent with our privacy policies and practices.
Canadian law permits or requires the use, sharing, or disclosure of personal information without consent in specific circumstances (e.g., when investigating and preventing suspected or actual illegal activities, including fraud, or to assist government and law enforcement agencies). These circumstances include situations when permitted or required by law or when necessary to protect our group of companies, our employees, our customers, or others. If this happens, we will not share more personal information than is reasonably required to fulfill that particular purpose.
Other than the purposes listed above, we may, with your implied or express consent, share or disclose your personal information outside of our group of companies, in accordance with applicable law.
How Do We Manage Consent?
You can withdraw your consent at any time after you have given it to us. If you do not consent to a certain use or disclosure of your personal information, or if you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide you with a particular product or service. If so, we will explain to you the consequences of refusing or withdrawing consent, and your options.
How Do I Change My Privacy Choices?
We want you to clearly understand your choices and make informed decisions about your privacy options. There are several options available for you to manage your privacy preferences, including, for example: managing your preferences within your account(s), contacting us directly, changing your browser settings on your device, and/or, where available, using third party unsubscribe functionality.
How Do We Protect and Store Personal Information?
In order to protect your personal information and right to privacy, we will:
- Not collect, use or disclose your personal information for any purpose other than those that we identify to you or as required by law.
- Keep your personal information only for as long as we need it to fulfill the stated purpose or as required by law.
- Maintain your personal information in as accurate, complete and up-to-date a form as possible.
- Safeguard your personal information to the best of our ability.
- Respond to any request you may make to access or correct the personal information we hold about you.
- Obtain the appropriate consent from you for the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.
How Do I Request Access to My Personal Information?
Under Canadian privacy law, you have the right to access the personal information we hold about you, subject to any legal restrictions. For example, we may not be able to provide you with access to personal information if the information cannot be separated from the records of others, cannot be disclosed for reasons of security or commercial confidentiality, or is protected by legal privilege. Upon request, we will provide you with access to your personal information within a reasonable timeframe, in compliance with applicable laws.
It is your responsibility to provide accurate, correct and complete information. If you notice any errors in your personal information or need to update it, please let us know through the steps outlined below.
We may make changes to this policy from time to time. Any changes we make will become effective when we post a modified version of the policy on this webpage. If we make any significant changes to the policy, we will post a notice on our websites. By continuing to participate in our programs, and/or use our services or purchase our products after the modified version of the policy has been posted, you are accepting the changes to the policy, subject to any additional requirements which may apply. If you do not agree to the changes in our policy, it is your responsibility to stop using the website, participating in our programs, and/or using our services or purchasing our products. It is your obligation to ensure that you read, understand and agree to the latest version of the policy. The “Effective Date” at the top of the policy indicates when it was last updated.
Privacy Internet Communication
As the privacy of communication over the Internet cannot be guaranteed, we do not assume any responsibility for any harm, loss, or damage that might occur by the sending of personal and confidential information.
Security of Personal Information
We use safeguards and security measures that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the information to protect against unauthorized access, loss or theft of personal information provided through this website. Although we make every effort to ensure that no one else will see or obtain your personal information, complete confidentiality and security is not possible over the Internet. We are not liable for any damages you may suffer as a result of the transmission of personal information over the Internet.
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our website and welcome any feedback about these sites.
Who Do I Contact With Privacy Questions?
If you have any questions about how we handle your personal information, please email [email protected]